Scholarly Research Tools
The basics of academic research are covered in the the Help with Research section of the Library website. Here, we look at some resources for the more in-depth research required for graduate students working on theses, and for professional academics engaged in scholarly publication.
Besides the many subject-specific databases to which the Library subscribes, these general resources are worth checking for any research project:
- Google Scholar: connecting to Google Scholar through the Library website will ensure that you are recognized as a member of the U. of W. community, and will see fulltext links customized for our holdings. One of the best features of this resource is that if you are an author and your publications appear in your Google Scholar profile, any recently published material of a similar nature will appear under “my updates.” each time you log in.
- Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ), an online directory of high-quality, peer-reviewed, open-access journals. As explained on the site, “Journals that adhere to an exceptionally high level of publishing standards and best practice are awarded the [DOAJ] Seal as recognition of those efforts.” The DOAJ is useful not only for locating research material, but for identifying legitimate open-access journals to which to submit your own work.
Free online archives
Digitized materials can greatly extend the resources available to researchers. These include:
- The Internet Archive, “a non-profit library of millions of free books, movies, software, music, and more.” The fulltext search for the collection is presently hosted off-site.
- Open Library, with an eBook lending library of over 250,000 titles, including many recent works still in copyright.
- The Copyright Office: Whether you are photocopying articles for research or using a Creative Commons image in a presentation or publication, the Copyright Office can help ensure you aren’t breaking the Copyright Act.
- The Graduate Research Guide provides information on services available to University of Winnipeg Graduate Students.
- The For Faculty section of the website focuses on information in support of teaching.