Reference Room Computers
A description of computers and computing related equipment located in the Reference Room of the Library.
There are five Express Computers located near the Reference Desk and one adjacent to the Circulation Desk. These computers do not require a login and are intended for short-term use. Please limit use to five minutes. Those who do not follow this five minute policy will be prompted by Library staff to make use of computers elsewhere. Those who do not follow the direction of Library staff will be asked by UW Security Services to leave the Library.
For other computer options for community users, see the following:
General Use Computers
The fourth floor Reference Room is equipped with 22 general use computers with Windows 7 and the following suite of desktop productivity software applications, common Web browsers and multimedia viewers:
- ESET Anti-Virus
- Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Mozilla Firefox
- Microsoft Office 2010 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, InfoPath)
- Write n' Cite (MS Word plugin) for RefWorks
- IBM SPSS
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Java (JRE)
- Adobe Flash
- VLC universal video player
- Windows Media Player
- PDF Creator
- Equitrac Printing Client
Multimedia and Accessibility Computers
There are two multimedia/accessibility (MMA) computers located on the fouth floor of the Library. In addition to the hardware and software mentioned above, these PCs have the following features:
- Electric ADA height adjustable 60" wide tables (with control panel mounted under table at far right)
- Dual 24" widescreen LCD monitors mounted on Ergotron adjustable LCD monitor arms
- 512MB video card
- EPSON Perfection V600 Photo Scanner (Single Page 8.5" x 11" flatbed USB scanner)
- ABBYY Fine Reader for OCR or image-to-text processing of scanned text documents
- Adobe Acrobat Pro (for editing PDF files)
- Photoshop Elements (for editing image files)
- ArcInfo (GIS)
- XMind (mind mapping software)
- Audacity++ with LAME MP3 plug-in for audio file editing
- Thunder++ (text-to-speech screen reader)
- Bibleworks 9 **
++ Headphones are not provided.
** Bibleworks 9 is installed only on MMA2.
All library workstations are configured for printing to the queues for the campus print system (STUDENT_B-W and STUDENT_COLOUR). There is a printer located next to the Reference Desk. In the area adjacent to the Circulation Desk, there is a colour and a black and white multifunction device (MFDs) for printing, photocopying, and scanning.