fb pixel

What is the Tri-Agency Open Access Policy on Publications

SSHRC, NSERC, and CIHR have a harmonized Open Access Policy on Publications that requires research publications from their grants to be made freely available within 12 months. This ensures public access to publicly funded research.

1) Getting Help

2) How to Make Publications OA

Getting Help

The Scholarly Communications team is able to provide advice on:

-          Using WinnSpace Institutional Repository to meet the requirements by self-archiving

-          Identifying high-impact Open Access journals to publish in

-          Avoiding predatory publishers

-          Obtaining copyright clearance from your publisher and negotiating Author’s Rights

Please contact Brianne Selman - Scholarly Communications and Copyright Librarian, or John Dobson - Scholarly Communications Specialist.

For further information, the Tri-Agencies offer both an FAQ and an online Toolbox, both with information and resources to help you comply with the policy.

How can I make my publications open access?

Option One: Deposit in an Open Access Repository

Publish your research in a journal of your choice, then deposit a version of your article in an open access repository, either one specialized for your discipline or one run by your institution such as WinnSpace.

To take advantage of this option, you as the researcher are responsible for ensuring that the author agreement you sign with the publisher of the article allows you to make this deposit.


-          Copyright Office – can assist you with ensuring you have the right to self-archive

-          SHERPA/ RoMEO – this tool will allow you to ensure that your publisher permits-self archiving

-          WinnSpace – the University of Winnipeg’s free institutional repository, which preserves and shares Faculty research with the world

-          OpenDOAR – a listing of other Open Access Repositories

Option Two: Publish in an Open Access Journal

Publish your research in either a hybrid (which offers both subscription and OA articles) or a fully Open Access journal. For journals that use Article Processing Charges (APCs) as a means to fund open access, these APCs are eligible expenses for Tri-Agency grants.


-          Tips on Avoiding Predatory Publishers

-          Directory of Open Access Journals

Please note that making a version of your article available on your own website does not meet the conditions of the policy, and may be against copyright restrictions. For more information, please contact the Copyright Office.

Please contact the Scholarly Communications team with questions!

Library Help Chat